Why Does My Baby Have a Rash on Her Face?



Why does my baby have a rash on her face? It’s as if she has acne, but I’m afraid it is something dangerous. Babies can have acne. It is a mild infection as their bodies are exposed to various pathogens and start to fight it. What if they are worse than mild pimples? If your baby is having trouble breathing or digestive problems after eating a new food, it may be food allergies. What if she’s been sick? If there is a fever with the rash, it could be anything from the chicken pox to Fifth’s disease. What is Fifth’s disease? It was one of the five common childhood diseases. It was considered the fifth one, because kids usually got it around age five, though they could get it when they were in pre-school. But I’m dealing with a baby. The odds of it being Fifth’s disease go up if he or she could have gotten it from an older sibling. But if there is a high fever and sore throat, it could be something serious like scarlet fever. I’m pretty sure she’s vaccinated against that. Your baby is in the process of getting vaccinated against major diseases. She might not have gotten the vaccine yet or doesn’t have full immunity yet. She doesn’t have a high fever. Could it be something more benign? Do you have bed bugs? Do you have pets, and the baby could have been exposed to fleas? When we tell the kids good night, sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite, I never meant literally. At least I know it isn’t poison ivy like my pre-schooler had. If the older sibling has been in physical contact with the baby, or the baby laying down on clothes and blankets the older one was in, yes, the baby could have a reaction on contact. It’s more circular than the red streaks that poison ivy causes. That sounds like ringworm. This is running rings around me. I need to get her to a pediatrician.